Die-Attach Force Measurement
Fragile semiconductor chips require careful handling before packaging. During chip attachment processes using TSV (Through-Silicon Via), eutectic, epoxy or solder, a constant force must be applied to the chip. Incorrect application of force leads to chip breakage and incomplete bonding. Load cells built into the chip attachment tool provide closed-loop control during this delicate process.
How it works :
- A miniature LCM100 series load cell is used to measure the soldering force of a chip to its PCB.
- As the armature presses the chip down onto the board, the LCM100 sensor measures the applied force.
- The applied force is then displayed on the IHH500 or IPM650 digital display.
- The use of an analog amplifier IAA300 or the analog output from the IPM650 or IDA100, allows to send the signal to a PLC and thus to automate and control the welding process.
- The signal-to-noise ratio of the IAA300 output makes it ideal for high precision motion control.